Updated RWI training delivered by Ruth Miskin Inc trainers in Rutland. An opportunity to refresh or train in phonics knowledge using the Read Write Inc. phonics scheme. Teachers and support staff will have access to the full scheme and delivery training.
Day 1 of the training will show how to teach children to:
- Read and write 44 sounds using child-friendly mnemonics
- Read words by sound-blending
- Spell by segmenting words into sounds
- Read and spell common irregular words
- Use the whole literacy hour (standard in all primary schools): 30 mins of RWI extended intensive phonics and 30 mins of Storytime.
Day 2 will show how to teach children to:
- Read storybooks that are matched closely to their current phonic knowledge and read these books with fluency and comprehension
- Reading comprehension and writing composition; how to ensure children apply and embed phonics knowledge to decodable texts (the RWI storybooks)
- Write sentences from dictation
- Use oral rehearsal to build sentences and compositions
- Use the literacy hour to teach 10 mins of speed sound lessons/word time and 50 mins of reading/writing and applying knowledge to storybooks
This training is subsidised for all Rutland Schools by Rutland County Council and Rutland Teaching Alliance.
Venue: Brooke Priory Primary School, Oakham, Rutland
Dates: Day 1, 25 November 2020. Day 2, 27 January 2021.
Cost: 1 token per delegate